Friday, May 1, 2009

Is it still considered work?

A fun sample of the conversation I had with my boss today:

Witgen, Ann E [10:46 AM]:
did you see the note from Darleen?

Newton, Chris [10:46 AM]:
about the baby?
Witgen, Ann E [10:47 AM]:
yeah. it made me laugh because the middle name is edward, which has seen a resurgence on the top baby name list because of the movie Twilight.
Newton, Chris [10:47 AM]:
ahh
Witgen, Ann E [10:48 AM]:
sometimes things are just amusing to me, and no one else.
Newton, Chris [10:49 AM]:
i understand. there are many things that are VERY interesting to me that other people don't get at all.
i get the edward thing though... he was a hottie

Witgen, Ann E [10:49 AM]:
i had to relaminate my list after Twilight
Newton, Chris [10:50 AM]:
what list? you have a laminated list of potential baby names?
Witgen, Ann E [10:52 AM]:
no, it's a reference from the show Friends. there's an episode where every talks about their lists- 5 celebrities, that if the chance ever happened, they could leave their spouse for, for one night
Newton, Chris [10:52 AM]:
i see
Witgen, Ann E [10:53 AM]:
anyway, the whole episode, Ross agonizes over his list and changes it constantly, finally laminating it, to prevent changing it again.
Newton, Chris [10:54 AM]:
kate and catie would have gotten it... i was never into friends

Witgen, Ann E [10:54 AM]:
the joke of the episode was that an actress he left off the final list walked into the coffee shop at the end
Newton, Chris [10:54 AM]:
that is funny
Witgen, Ann E [10:55 AM]:
my friends and I always talk about our laminated lists, not that any of it is close to reality.
Newton, Chris [10:56 AM]:
i c. i don't think i could choose just 5
Witgen, Ann E [10:56 AM]:
therein lies the joke


Believe it or not, we have discussions like this all the time. It drives Drew nuts because he definitely feels left out, and probably a bit resentful that Chris and I are closer than him and Chris when he was here first. He especially hates when Chris im's me, and I laugh, then I sent her a response, and she laughs. All he gets are the laughs, not the joke itself. I've tried explaining, but I guess some things are not funny after the fact. Example below:

Witgen, Ann E [9:11 AM]:
i'm meeting some people for lunch and they want to go to that thai place across the street. after you told me about the bugs, i'd rather not. do you think i should pass that on or suck it up?
Newton, Chris [9:12 AM]:
wow. i'm not sure
i try not to even think about the dang bugs, bcz i know that they all have them (downtown anyway) i just have a hard time going to the places where i actually saw one. that thai place has really good food- if you like thai

Witgen, Ann E [9:14 AM]:
i do like thai. how many bugs was it?
Newton, Chris [9:14 AM]:
one
Witgen, Ann E [9:14 AM]:
lol, if there's one, there's more
Newton, Chris [9:14 AM]:
i know
it ran across the table. haha
yuck!!
i can't even think about it. creeps me out!!
Witgen, Ann E [9:15 AM]:
same here!!
Newton, Chris [9:15 AM]:
i was sooo upset, bcz i loved that place
Witgen, Ann E [9:15 AM]:
maybe i can steer them elsewhere without mentioning the bug
Newton, Chris [9:16 AM]:
but really... if they have them, i'm sure skyline does too- it's right next door... and i still eat there

Witgen, Ann E [9:16 AM]:
yuck, i will not eat at skyline.
Newton, Chris [9:16 AM]:
i don't like their chilli- it's not chilli- but they make a great buffalo chx salad

Witgen, Ann E [9:17 AM]:
i've had trouble finding good tasting buffalo
Newton, Chris [9:18 AM]:
haha -don't know why, but that sounded funny
just pictured u eating a buffalo

Witgen, Ann E [9:19 AM]:
nom nom nom


I almost fell on the floor laughing, and Drew asked what was going on. I told him we were laughing about me eating a buffalo (with a little more explanation), and he was not amused. I think he pouted for a while that day. I've tried including him, but he just doesn't have the same sense of humor that we do. Poor guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment