Thursday, November 4, 2010

NEW

I received an invite to NEW: the Network of Executive Women.  It's strange.  I don't feel an affinity to this group or to women in general.  It's not my demographic - yes, I am a woman, but I am an individual and my goals are not to further women's rights, so to speak.

I am more interested in furthering gay rights, or helping young professionals, and trying to become a better person.  As far as I'm concerned, women are pretty well set.  It has been stressed so much in the last 90 years that it is time to further a new demographic.  It has become such a non-issue that for my generation, there has never been any doubt that women would do as well, if not better, than men.  For that, I thank the generations for the battle they fought.  This post is not meant to minimize their efforts, without which my openness would not be possible.

As I look around the room, there is a visible age line - the majority of the women are forty plus.  There is a single table of girls that are early twenties.  They were put all at the same table and are the college outreach division.  *rolls eyes* Good job, NEW, you have eight potential members.

The conversation right now from the speaker is about building relationships with other women.  I'm a little disgusted because apparently, relationships with men as a support system are for naught.  Also, we clap after almost every statement.  Ie- "Making IT Happen is about building relationships." *clap clap clap*  How is everything said that impactful?  It's not.  I have to figure out a way to politely decline this next time.  It's not for me, but I do hope to keep the lanyard.

Update:
There was a basket as you came down the stairs to deposit the lanyard into, but I just zipped up my coat over mine and walked out the door.  Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment